Featured Post

The Beginning

The truth is I don't know how to get "serious" about writing. It usually just happens, or it doesn't. But man is there so ...

Monday, November 20, 2017

Ripples and Life Lessons

I decide to have a bath this evening. I chose a bath over taking a shower to slow the week down. I ran the water and added a few drops of Roman Chamomile. While in the bathtub, I dried my hands and grabbed my phone to finish listening to a Youtube video on the laws of attraction with Allan Watts. Watts has been one of my favorite philosophers since I was in my early twenties. He espouses simple disciplines to sound living and does not hold his tongue on calling BS on the our perceptions.

Once the video ended, I sat in the dim light of my bathroom thinking over what I just heard. Why do I want what I want and where is my focus? I gently ran my hand over the water and then slowly into the water. The act created ripples. What I noticed at first was the feedback I immediately received from the motion and how it shockingly relates to life.

With my leg protruding out of the water creating a barrier between the side of the tub, the water bounced off of my leg and created a ripple effect back to me. As I stared at the ripples over and over, I took it to mean what I put out comes back to me or as the old Proverb goes, you reap what you sow. As it relates to Alan's lecture on attraction, I am getting what I put into the world. If I like what I am getting, true relationships, honest conversation, mutual love and respect with my husband, and clarity on the world around me, I should put more of that into the world. Why does this work and why do I want more of this? For starters, it feels good. It feels better than the life I lived before that was full of my wants, needs, and desires. I also understand that to make the "world beautiful" I have to first draw the circle around myself and fix everything in it, the relationships I have today, matter. If I nurture and master them, then I can give that energy to the people around me and get more of it in return.

Every day we are putting out ripples. If you love your life and like what you are getting, do more of that. If not, if you want to create change in your life, then put out different ripples.

The same thing happens in our digestion system. When I put in the trash, I felt like trash.

So now, I am vegan.



3 comments:

  1. "It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped each time [one] stands up for an ideal or acts to improve the lot of others or strikes out against injustice. [That one person] sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest wall of oppression."

    -Robert F. Kennedy
    -Day of Affirmation Address ["Ripple of Hope" Speech] in Cape Town, South Africa
    -June 6, 1966

    ReplyDelete